The British Heart Foundation (BHF) are working with Tough Mudder this year to support raising vital funds and awareness of the importance of a healthy heart. We caught up with BHF Physical Activity Specialist Lisa Young and she offered her tips on how we can make ourselves more active on a daily basis.
8 Ways To Get Active Everyday
1. Find an activity you enjoy and make it even more fun; listen to music while you do it or attend a class with a friend or family member.
2. Everyday activity, such as walking or cycling to the shops or to work, is a great way to get your heart pumping. There is a greater chance of success if you build physical activity into your daily routine.
3. If you enjoy walking, add some variety and push yourself further with Nordic walking poles. Using two poles while you walk gets your arms and core involved, making your physical activity more well-rounded. To challenge yourself even more, incorporate a small hill into the route of your walk, or try carrying small weights. The Tough Mudder Elevation Milestones might be just the thing to inspire you on.
4. Use tools to support you, such as the Tough Mudder Coach to 5K guide.
5. Set yourself a goal or challenge. Why not take part in a mass participation challenge, such as a Tough Mudder 15K, charity walk, run or bike ride?
6. Take advantage of the great outdoors – meet friends for a walk at your local park, or take your children or grandchildren for a kick-about.
7. Encourage young children to be active through the games they play.
8. Take the stairs instead of the lift or escalator, whenever possible.